Saturday, November 7, 2009

I wish you could smell this...


My favorite pasta used to be Fettucini Alfredo, which is my mom's recipe that she says she got from the guy who invented it in Italy. It's basically some cream and egg and parmesan and cooked pasta, but you cook it so it's like a white sauce and it ends up being too creamy. Then I met a guy in Florence who made it for me the same way except he first sauteed some chopped ham in butter and then added the sauce. THEN I tried Nigella's recipe for Carbonara - and now - the pinnacle - I made the carbonara with eggs from Soul Food Farm (from Prather Meat Co) that have been "steeped" in a container with truffles from Far West Fungi. I'm telling you this is the top of the heap - it could only be better if topped with lobster (just kidding - even I think that would be over the top!) The aroma is heavenly, like smelling a symphony. I could seriously wax poetic on this one, but I'll just give you the recipe, as it's really lovely even with plain eggs. These are the kind of ingredients that you should have on hand and be able to make this when you think there is nothing to eat and are considering take out.

Pasta Carbonara serves 2

about 1/2 pound of spaghetti (tonight I used bucatini)
1/4 pound diced pancetta (Fatted Calf) or bacon
splash olive oil
couple tablespoons vermouth or white wine
2 eggs
1/3 cup parmesan freshly grated
couple tablespoons cream
lots of fresh ground pepper

Boil the pasta in salted water until it is al dente, or just slightly underdone. In a measuring cup mix eggs, cream, parmesan and pepper and set aside. In a large saute pan (that will hold the pasta later) swirl in the olive oil and then fry the pancetta until brown. Add the wine and let it reduce until it is a salty syrup. When the pasta is cooked drain it and add to the pan and toss to coat on medium heat for a couple minutes. Remove the pan from heat and add the cream egg mixture tossing with some tongs until it's coated - don't let the eggs cook! This is why you want really fresh eggs. Serve immediately with more parmesan and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment