Friday, November 13, 2009

Just in case you think I'm on vacation...


I'm not. Or as I call it a "vac-obligation" as I am visiting my mom - in Texas, and I am not just sitting around. Today I made 3 different soups to put in small containers in the freezer for her as it's gotten where she can't really cook anymore (and won't get any help -that's another story!) So I made Cauliflower Soup -see recipe in the post "It's Soup Time".
And Roasted Potato Leek Soup - see Food Network for Ina Garten's recipe. And finally today a roasted vegetable soup - recipe below. Don't think I'm done either - I am making a whole Pre-Thanksgiving dinner on sunday for her and 5 cronies. One short cut I'm taking - as a nod to being in Texas - I'm getting a turkey smoked at her local BBQ joint, Joe Allen's for those of you in the know. Will let you know how all that pans out, as you might want to add some of my recipes into your thanksgiving dinner! Oh - and I have 2 other soups in the works, and some cookies she has requested...

Fall Roasted Vegetable Soup 6 servings

1 pound carrots
1 pound parsnips
1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
1 onion, cut into quarters
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
s&p
about 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock if you want to go vegetarian

Peel all the veggies and cut into about 1-2 inch pieces and toss with the oil and s&p. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 30-40 min. or until they are soft and lightly caramelized. Put all in a food processor or blender in batches and add some of the broth and puree until smooth. Warm in a pan and add enough broth so it's not too thick, but pretty thick. Doesn't really need cream, but if you are feeling it, maybe serve with a dollup of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment