Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sweet Potatoes Galore!

In my Mariquita Mystery box, along with lots of other fresh veggies, were a ton of sweet potatoes - so what did I do? For one I made Sweet Potato Pound Cakes.

Sweet Potato Pound Cake

1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup sugar
2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (I roasted 3 for about 30 min in skins)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon each baking soda and powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
optional - chopped pecans for the top

Cream butter and sugar add eggs one at a time, then mix in potatoes. Stir all dry ingredients together then add to the bowl and mix lightly. Fold in OJ, zest and vanilla. Pour into butter & floured pan (I use that spray stuff) and top with a few chopped pecans. Bake in 1 large bundt pan for about 55 min. or in 4 small pans about 35 min at 325 degrees.



I'm not a huge fan of those super sweet marshmallow topped concoctions, so the other thing I made when I did the smoked turkey thing at my mom's house was a sweet potato gratin - sooo good! Adapted from Bobby Flay

Not too Sweet Potato Gratin

about 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and thinly sliced (1/8 inch)
about 2 cups half & half
1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo
s&p
tablespoon butter

Mix milk, chipotle and s&p. Place the sweet potato slices in a layer and pour over a little cream, repeat until pan is full. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 30 min. Remove foil and bake another 30 min. or until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment