Monday, November 30, 2009

Waffles - Freeze your own!



You know how easy it is to pull frozen waffles out of the freezer and put them in the toaster for a quick breakfast? Do you know you can make your own and freeze them to have anytime instead of god knows what is in those eggos?? Just leggo! Really, this is so easy and if you don't have a waffle iron, you can get one pretty cheap - just make sure it has a non-stick coating. I made these sunday morning and the house smelled delicious for hours. I topped mine with whipped cream and that is another cool gadget that I can't do without (ok, I guess I could if I had to, but this is so convenient!) It's a cream whipper, don't know the official name, but you put cream in the bottle (I don't add any sugar as I figure whatever I'm putting it on is sweet enough) and then tightly seal and put in a cartridge and it whips it up. Then you can store it in the fridge for weeks. Also my maple smoked bacon from Prather went very nicely with this meal...

Cinnamon Pecan Whole-Wheat Waffles makes about 5-6

1/2 stick unsalted butter melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour (I had the fresh ground from Eatwell Farms)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 & 3/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2/3 cup chopped pecans

Whisk all dry ingredients together in a big bowl. Whisk wet ingredients together in a measuring cup all except for the butter. Mix the wet into the dry with a whisk and then fold in the butter. For the first waffle I preheat the waffle maker and then spray with a little pam. Pour the batter in then sprinkle with some of the pecans like in the photo - you could leave them off for someone who doesn't like nuts. Eat them hot off the griddle with maple syrup or I like I did with a little whipped cream. Place the extras on a cooling rack. When cool lay between wax paper and put in a large ziploc and freeze. Later just take out and toast! You might want to double the recipe if you are serving 4, so you have leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment