Monday, November 23, 2009

Waldorf Salad - I'm in a retro mood...


When I was at the market on saturday celery was on my list and I found a beautiful bunch, then I bought some lovely crisp red apples - and it hit me - Waldorf Salad! So my next purchase was freshly shelled walnuts - and I was set! This is a really old recipe from Helen Corbitt for Sour Cream Dressing and it also works as a good coleslaw dressing.

Waldorf Salad

1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon grated onion
1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cream, whipped

Mix all except the cream in a bowl. Fold in the whipped cream. This will keep in the fridge for a few weeks.

couple apples
couple stalks celery
handful of toasted walnuts - let cool before tossing with the dressing

Core and chop the apples - don't peel. Cut the celery into slices add the walnuts and toss all together with some of the dressing until its lightly coated. This doesn't keep well, so make just as much as you will eat and save the dressing for the next batch. Some people add grapes, go ahead if you like, just not my thing. I've even heard of some people adding sliced bananas - definitely not my thing!




No comments:

Post a Comment