Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Sandwich For Stephen


Our dear friend passed away, and for those of you that knew him, you will know how much he loved his sandwiches. This was something I made for him the last time he was here. I know I've said it before, but you show someone how much you love them when you cook for them and he was a wonderful cook too. Make this for someone you love.

Pressed Sandwich

loaf of ciabatta remove a little bread from the inside so you can fit in all the filling
soft goat cheese
roasted red peppers
mix of salami, prosciutto, sopressata
arugula or spinach or basil leaves
pitted chopped olives

Mix a little dressing with olive oil, mustard, balsamic vinegar, capers and garlic. Dress the peppers with this. Spread the goat cheese on one half of the bread and layer the rest with the peppers and dressing on top. Press the top piece of bread down on the other half and weight it down with a heavy pan to smush all the good stuff together. Wrap in foil or plastic until ready to serve.

1 comment:

  1. I am so incredibly touched by this Rebecca.

    Not only because I too love Stephen, but by your line:
    'you show someone how much you love them when you cook for them'. And not only because of the countless meals Stephen has cooked for me...

    My partner and I have had many conversations this week about life and death and love and loss. The night we learned of the loss of our dear friend, he said it was a reminder of how fragile we all are, and how we carry secret griefs for which there are no words, which cannot be articulated.

    In the weeks before, he and I had had conversations about the rare and cherished times he says the words 'I love you'. As deeply as I know it, and as often as he shows it, my heart still sings to hear him say it, and longs for him to speak it more.

    Somehow your line landed right in my chest and I am reminded of the countless ways in which he nourishes me. Reminded to remember the innumerable and exquisitely tasty offerings from our kitchen in all the years past and those to come, as eloquence beyond that which can be spoken.

    ReplyDelete