Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Spanish Potato and Chorizo Stew


I can't believe I haven't made this for you yet!! I even had to search back in my old posts to make sure it wasn't already here. I love this easy weeknight stew. I get this amazing Spanish chorizo from Fatted Calf at the market and I always have it on hand in my freezer. Make sure you use Spanish - not Mexican. The Spanish is a dry, smoked cooked sausage that can be sliced; Mexican is a loose raw sausage. Recipe adapted from Food and Wine.

Spanish Potato and Chorizo Stew serves 4

couple tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small onion thinly sliced
1 and 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes cut into quarters
1 portobello mushroom, stem and gills removed and then cut the cap into small pieces
1 bell pepper diced
1/2 teaspoon pimenton de la Vera - smoked Spanish paprika - essential! If you don't have it, try to find it, it has a wonderful flavor!
pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups water
1/2 pound Spanish chorizo, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
s&p to taste

Heat oil in a large pan and saute the onion for about 5 min. Add the potatoes and stir to coat with oil. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, paprika, pepper and water and simmer for 10 min. uncovered. Add the chorizo and partially cover and cook another 10 min. Remove the lid and mash a few potatoes so that the starch thickens the stew. S&P to taste. Serve with toast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment