Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Beans and Pancetta - oh so good


I made these last weekend to accompany my Mustard Roasted Salmon with grilled asparagus and grilled artichokes. I had some fresh shelled cannellini beans in the freezer so I first sauteed a thinly sliced onion in some olive oil until soft then added about 1/2 cup diced pancetta and cooked them together until the pancetta crisped up and the onions caramelized. I added the beans and covered with chicken broth and bring to a low simmer. Now, since these were fresh (frozen) and not dried beans they only took about 30 min to cook. If you are using dried, soak them overnight and then cook the same way, adjusting the time to about 2 hours - start testing after an hour to see when they are done. Salt & pepper to taste, mush a little bit of the beans to make it thick and top with another splash of olive oil. These made such a good side dish and with a lot more fiber than your usual potatoes or rice.


Ok - Rich just said I'm "blognoring" him so I have to give my man some attention. Has he coined a new phrase or what?! Spread the word! I want a wikipedia entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment