Saturday, May 8, 2010

The perfect Hard Boiled Egg

I think I might have mentioned this before, but thought I would just give it it's own post. I've mentioned that I just love Soul Food eggs - they are so fresh with lovely yellow yolks. The only problem is you just can't hard boil a really fresh egg - that is if you want to be able to peel the damn thing! I guess the deal is, they don't have very much air in the shell yet, that happens as an egg gets older. So, what I usually do is buy 2 dozen and put 1 dozen away on a back shelf in the fridge and wait a month or so until they are at the age that you would get if you just bought them from a regular grocery store! Then, I use a sewing needle to poke a small hole in the large bottom of the eggs, put them in a pan and cover with water. Bring the pot to a boil and then immediately turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 12 min. Next, remove from the pan and place in a bowl with some ice and a little water until they are cool. I then store them in the fridge for about a week. Today's were perfect - and even easy to peel - all it needed was a little sprinkling of maldon salt! The other photo was what we found in a Memphis grocery store - already cooked and
peeled eggs - that was a new one on me - how fresh do you think those eggs are?!

Post note: I have to admit, a couple weeks ago the eggs were really big and I don't think it actually came to a boil first, so they were NOT cooked on the inside - seriously runny! I do like them a little on the rare side - but this was like sushi - I was horrified to even consider throwing out some of my $8 a dozen eggs so I ended up making potato salad and mashing them up with that... another lesson in making lemonade!!

No comments:

Post a Comment