Monday, May 17, 2010

Restaurant Iris - New Orlean's style in Memphis








Before we went to Memphis I looked on the Food & Wine website for recommendations and found this little place in a cute old neighborhood. I have to say, Food & Wine has never let me down - this was awesome!!! Rich and I ended up there for brunch by ourselves because my brother-in-law looked at the menu and said "There is not one thing on this menu that I would eat." I love ya Randy - but you need new taste buds! Everything we had was unbelievably fresh - and I think it was probably the last of the gulf seafood for awhile (oil spill). We started with a Bloody Mary and a Milk Punch - how could it go bad from there?! Next up was Fried Oyster Salad for Rich - and even though I'm not a big oyster fan - these were so fresh, crispy and light! My starter was Corn Cakes with Crab - heavenly. Our main courses were Trout Almondine with mashed potatoes for me - the browned butter sauce was just amazing and Rich had the Grillades and grits with poached eggs. We stuffed ourselves! If you ever find yourself in Memphis do not miss Restaurant Iris by chef Kelly English - he was even there on sunday and popped his head out to ask how our meal was - now that's a guy who hasn't let being voted best new chef of 2009 go to his head - keep up the great work!

1 comment: