Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Roasted Chicken - all you need to add is a side



Occasionally I'll buy a roasted chicken (Roli Roti at the ferry building on saturday is one of my favorites) and then make my own sides to go with it. The already roasted chicken from the store is easy, but I never like the already cooked side dishes that you can buy. This makes for an easy weeknight dinner and tastes like you slaved over a hot stove all day! One of these is a simple scalloped potato with roasted asparagus and the other is just what I had in the fridge that day: a few mushrooms, some bacon and some leftover boiled potatoes. I fried the bacon in a pan, added the mushrooms and then cut up the potatoes and warmed it all up together.

Scalloped Potatoes

few large yukon gold potatoes cut into slices
about 1/2 cup of half and half
s&p
couple tablespoons butter

So, you have to just use your judgement on the quantities here, you'll need to eyeball it some. Use some butter to grease a small oval baking pan. Layer the potato slices with a little butter cut up and s&p in between the potatoes. Pour the half and half over the potatoes, just enough where it's not covering, but you can see some liquid when you tilt the pan. Roast in a 350 degree oven until brown and bubbly about 35 min. Poke a fork in to see if the potatoes are tender and all the milk should be absorbed. If you want, you could sprinkle with some grated cheddar or gruyere cheese and broil for a couple min. The best scalloped potatoes I ever made was when I had some leftover fondue that I froze. I crumbled it over the potatoes and finished baking them - the garlicy, winey, cheesy flavor was unbelievable!

Post Note: There are so many variations for these - sometimes I add sliced mushrooms, or diced ham in between the layers. I've even done oven roasted tomatoes in the layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment