Friday, July 16, 2010

Green and Yellow Squash Pickles


This months Can Jam challenge was cucumbers/zucchini or melons. I chose yellow and green zucchini, as I made this pickle once a long time ago and had forgotten about them until now. It's basically like making a bread and butter pickle, but the different colors make them really cute! I slice these thiner than my regular pickles, so I really recommend getting a mandoline slicer. This is my fancy expensive one (gift from darling hubby) but you can get an inexpensive one that is plastic that will work too. The nice thing about the zukes was that they came with their own handle! But, watch your finger tips - the blades are SHARP!

Sweet Squash Pickles makes about 5 pints

2 small onions, thinly sliced
about a dozen yellow and green zucchini, thinly sliced
1/2 cup pickling salt (I can't find this, use non-iodized salt instead)
about a quart of ice
1 quart white vinegar
2 and 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons each of tumeric, celery seed and mustard seed

Layer the onions and zucchini with the salt in a large bowl then top with ice and let sit for 2 hours. Pour into a colander and rinse well under cold water and drain well. In a large non-reactive pot put the vinegar, sugar and spices and bring to a boil. Pour in the squash and bring to a boil, then put in the jars using a slotted spoon and when full pour in the liquid to cover. Put on the clean lids and submerge the jars in boiling water. Start the timer right away and process 10 min.

2 comments:

  1. These look great. Can I ask where you got that jar that is on the left front of the picture? It looks like it has fruit on the bottom embossed and some lettering on it.. What a great jar that is! I have been canning like crazy this year. My first year to can. I have found I have become quite addicted to jars as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's Italian and I got them at Sur La Table. They are really beautiful, hard to tell in the picture but they aren't round.

    ReplyDelete