Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pot Roast - for the coldest winter I ever spent

Ok, if you don't know the reference, it's a quote from Mark Twain "The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco." So, while the rest of the country is hotter than hell right now - we're foggy and freezing our butts off! I'm not complaining - honestly, I just spent a week in Texas and it was a sweaty one. That is why in the middle of Summer I made a pot roast - because on a cold foggy night it's the perfect meal to warm your cockles. So for the rest of you in Hot America - bookmark this recipe for the winter!



San Francisco Summer Pot Roast serves 4

1 boneless chuck roast about 3 pounds
s&p
olive oil
1 large onion thinly sliced
1 teaspoon thyme
4 large carrots cut in large chunks
1 bottle of beer (last night I used a guiness that nobody ever wants to drink in our fridge!)
1 cup broth (beef or chicken)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
4-5 ginger snaps

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. S&P the beef and brown in a little oil in a dutch oven. When nicely browned on both sides remove to a plate and add the onions and thyme and saute about 5 min. Return the meat and add the carrots, beer, broth and tomato sauce. Cover, put in the oven and cook for 2 and half to 3 hours, turning the meat once. When tender remove the meat to a plate and on the stove crumble in the ginger snaps - trust me on this one - it makes a rich thick gravy. I served this with smashed potatoes and popovers. Of course we ate in front of our blazing fireplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment