Monday, August 16, 2010

Homemade Ketchup - well worth the effort



For those of you that have done all the tomato sauce you need and want to do something a little different - this is the ticket! Homemade ketchup is completely different from store bought, for one thing - no corn syrup, and for another it never seems to come out the same way twice! It's got a spicy sweetness that makes it special - but since it makes a small amount - keep it for special occasions or just don't let your kids dumb the whole thing on their fries. It's gold baby.

Ketchup makes 2 bottles and 2 small jars

1 large onion
1 small bulb fennel
couple tablespoons olive oil
1 inch piece ginger
4 cloves garlic
1 small hot fresh chili
2 whole cloves or 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon coriander
1 small bunch of basil (separate the stalks & reserve leaves for later)
3 pounds roma tomatoes, cut in half
1 pound cherry tomatoes (you can use all romas but this gives it an extra punch and sweetness)
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
s&p

Roughly chop the onion and fennel and saute in olive oil until soft - about 20 min. Add roughly chopped ginger, garlic, chili, cloves, coriander and the chopped stalks of the basil and saute another 5 min. Pour in tomatoes, vinegar and sugar and cook for an hour. Add the rest of the basil leaves then using a hand blender (or standing blender if you don't have one - just don't fill all the way or you'll be cleaning ketchup off the ceiling) puree the whole thing. Then put the mixture through the large holes of a food mill s&p to taste and then pour into small jars and water bath can them for 10 min or pour into sterile jars (don't sterilize this kind in the oven - see my next post!) and refrigerate. Serve to discerning gourmands.

9 comments:

  1. Next time we come, I'd like a jar of this. Have you ever considered making Mother's mango chutney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will save a jar especially for you! Considering it would probably kill my husband to eat the mango chutney - no, haven't made it. He's allergic to mangos- and chutney has never been a favorite of mine since I hate raisins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about his alergy. Keep it in mind if you ever want to get rid of him. I was her very best recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It's sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I'd love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy yummy yummy. I made ketchup for the first time this past weekend. And I am sold. It's delicious. I think I will make another batch in the coming week. I follow along with the canjam. Here's my August entry: http://www.canningwithkids.com/blog/2010/08/nicely-spicy-peach-salsa.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing. Not like anything you've had out of a supermarket bottle. Sweet, tangy and spicy. Just calling for a burger with sharp cheddar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more! Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tomato sauce is an exceptionally mainstream sauce produced using the tomatoes and is presented with a wide assortment of dishes. They are regularly presented with meat and vegetables yet most habitually they are presented with pasta. SAUS TIRAM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!! whrmarketing

    ReplyDelete