Sunday, September 5, 2010

Extraordinary Pancakes

I wasn't even going to post today, but after trying these pancakes this morning - I had to share! I have this freshly ground whole wheat flour from Eatwell Farms and have been meaning to make some pancakes out of them and wow -what an amazing pancake! Fluffy but also a little chewy - totally not heavy like you would expect with the high ratio of whole wheat flour. Those lovely fresh strawberries didn't hurt either!

Whole Wheat Pancakes serves 2 with a few leftover (I'm going to try freezing)

1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional - but I love my nuts!)

Mix wet ingredients in a bowl and the dry ingredients in another larger bowl - except for pecans. Mix the wet into the dry until smooth. Heat a griddle until hot and melt a little butter. Pour and then sprinkle with the pecans if using. When it bubbles flip and cook another few min. Top with berries if you have them and a little maple syrup. Now - throw out that pancake mix!!! In fact - just mix together the flours and the other dry ingredients and store in a container - whenever you want pancakes measure out a cup and your ready to go!


Post Note: I have to tell you even Richard loved these pancakes and he's really a scrambled egg man.

1 comment:

  1. We bought some stone ground pancake mix at the GA Mountain Fair and I am going to fix tonight.

    ReplyDelete