Monday, August 15, 2011

Unless you are from the South...


You have probably never even heard of a Buttermilk Chess Pie. Well, let me introduce you. I know it sounds weird - but believe me it's wonderful and refreshing - like a custard pie but with a great texture. My grandmother Daisy used to make this - good way to use up leftover buttermilk. I have to confess - I bought the raw pie dough at Downtown Creamery and Bakery in Healdsburg - find a local bakery near you for a good shortcut.

Buttermilk Chess Pie

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
1 pie crust, unbaked
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash fresh grated nutmeg
dash salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put crust in 9" pie pan. In a large bowl mix sugar and flour. Add the eggs and mix well. Add butter and buttermilk and mix. Stir in the rest and pour into shell. Bake for 15 min at 400 then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake another 35 min or until browned on top. Cool then serve plain or with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment