Sunday, December 22, 2013

Cookies for the Holidays!

I love making cookies -and these chocolate ones from Nigella (who I love and couldn't care less if she did/does cocaine) look (and taste) adorable for the holidays and can be made ahead. The Butter cookies done with my mom's old cookie press are a blast from the past - but I modernized them a bit by adding cardamon - yummy.

I froze these baked un-frosted - perfect make ahead!

Cookie "Gun" for ribbons
Butter Cookies "Ribbons"

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cardamom (leave out if you don't like)
3 tablespoons cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then mix in the egg yolk. Scrape down the sides and add all the dry ingredients (whisk them together in a bowl first) mix just until incorporated. Finally beat in cream and vanilla until just mixed. Refrigerate 15 min (or you can make ahead and freeze). Push dough into your "gun" and use the flat sided disc that is in a line with ridges on top. Pipe out a long ribbon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and top with colored sprinkles - I like the white but mixed colors are pretty cute too. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 min - you only want them to get slightly browned. They are crispy and delicious.

AND these above! One night last week a slightly scary, loud KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK was heard at our front door and when we opened it no one was there but this plate of cookies with the cryptic note "Merry, Merry with Love from the Pixies". Okay, luckily I live in a town where I feel safe enough eating random food (please only cookies) left by unknown persons on my doorstep! I'm still trying to figure this one out - I've ruled a few people out but there are still a couple people out there I don't trust to tell the truth - you know who you are! I guess this is just going to remain a holiday secret surprise and I can honestly say it's better than getting a burning bag of poo on my doorstep! (please no) MERRY MERRY EVERYONE! Love Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. Can you believe it took over 6 months before I figured out who the damn pixies were? Well, the mystery has finally been solved although I'm sworn to secrecy! I bow to the masters of secret santa-dom!

    ReplyDelete