Monday, July 28, 2014

MY potatoes!


This has been a bit of an adventure. I planted potatoes for the first time this year in a wine barrel.  My friend Rachel gave me some Bodega Reds which were close to extinction and the slow food people were encouraging people to get them back in circulation. I had no idea what I was doing so I googled a few videos and everybody said stop watering and pull them up after they flowered. Well, they flowered and this first photo is the size of the potatoes from the first 2 plants I pulled! Yes, that is the size of peas. So I decided to give them another chance, started watering again and got this next handful - I was so excited! They ranged in size from a dime to a quarter so I left the last group growing for another 2 weeks. This 2nd group I just boiled in salted water until just barely tender then cut them in half, tossed in some butter and maldon salt and truly this was the best potato I have ever put in my mouth. The skin was so tender -it was like it wasn't even there - and creamy - and delicate - basically just melted in my mouth. 
The first teeny group! 


First small group with butter and salt
2nd batch, slowly getting bigger 
The final big bunch!
I've pulled up the rest (including a few little yellow ones) and now I just have to decide what to do with them. I'm thinking some can be roasted with a chicken because I love when they soak up all those lovely chicken juices, then maybe some pan fried with onions and peppers... I'm definitely going to save a couple to plant again because WOW - if you have the patience they are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment