Tuesday, November 11, 2014

I have nuts on the brain!

Last week was Pepitas - this week it's Sally's Walnuts - lightly sweetened and delicious. In a "fall cleaning" moment I went through an old recipe box - you know the wooden kind? and found a bunch of nostalgic recipes - you know the kind - written in your mom's handwriting, or a couple of grandma's recipes you can't ever throw out. Well this one was from a wonderful lady I met a million (almost) years ago at the SF farmer's market - her name was Sally and I can't remember what else she sold but she made these wonderful Candied Walnuts - she also used to have a UFO mobile that hung from her stand, yes she was a bit of a character but she shared her recipe with me. Luckily I was able to piece together my notes and make them. And now I can't put them down. Good thing for me is that the first fresh walnuts of the season are at my Healdsburg Farmer's Market now and I can make another batch!
Sally's Walnuts

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
10 oz of fresh whole walnuts (if you have a pound bag, use another tablespoon of sugar and water)
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large saute pan melt the sugar with the water and butter then toss in the nuts and sauté on medium heat until mostly dry. Then spread out on a foil lined baking sheet sprinkle with salt and roast at 275 degrees for about 20 min, tossing them once. Let cool completely then sprinkle with more salt if you like and try not to eat them all in one night! They are wonderful on top of salads or a hot fudge sundae - or by the handful!

Post Note: That other bowl is apple compote that I made to top my brioche french toast - which is coming up!

Post Post Note: I'm expecting my Pecans any day now in the mail from Texas - so look out for a spiced pecan recipe too!

No comments:

Post a Comment