Wednesday, December 3, 2014

As the turkey turns...


Well, hopefully your turkey hasn't "turned" yet - mine is fine as I made it friday - our own little boneless breast - so yesterday I made Turkey Wild Rice Soup - wow so tasty! I used a mix of wild and brown rice and I really loved it. Then today a friend mentioned she made turkey "salad" which is my favorite from childhood - so that was lunch today. And now it's done - the bird that is! 




Because "Thanksgiving" is just not theme enough!
This is our "normal" Thanksgiving group out in Nicasio - this years' theme - The Mad Hatter - I mean who has a more fun holiday tradition?? Thanks to my friend Sarah who lent us actual Mad Hatter Hats!

POST NOTE: Paula (our lovely Hostess with the Mostess) just shared her appetizer Hot Cheese Dip - always served with pot stickers ; ) and her Baked Mashed Potatoes - they are both great! Thanks for sharing dear friend! I love that you can bake the mashed potatoes - that way you can make them ahead and serve them hot!

HOT CHEESE DIP
1/2 cup mayo
1 onion (white or yellow) chopped finely
4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
Mix all ingredients together in an oven proof dish/bowl.
sprinkle with paprika

Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top.
If not browning turn broil till desired color.
serve with sliced bagel rounds or sour dough bread, or dip pot stickers in it.
You can add anything you want to this i.e. olives, sausages slices, mushrooms.bacon.

For our TG, 20 folks, I generally use 2lbs. of shredded cheese and use enough mayo to wet all the cheese down mixing well.
increase onion according to your taste.

Mashed Potato Casserole
I double the recipe and it's usually too much but I do it anyway .

Recipe calls for 3 ounces of cream cheese softened (ok to use more)
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
2 1/2 to 3 lbs. baking potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
Paprika
Parsley sprigs..

In a bowl stir together softened cream cheese, garlic salt, pepper and sour cream until smooth and blended set aside.
Prepare and boil  cut potatoes (quartered or cut in smaller pieces)( I peel them).
I mash them in an electric mixer until they're in fine lumps.  Add sour cream mixture and continue mashing until fluffy and smooth. 
Spoon Potatoes into a well buttered, shallow 2 quart casserole: dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
If made ahead, cover and refrigerate until next day.

Bake covered in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes (50 minutes if refrigerated)
Uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until top is golden brown. Garnish with parsley sprigs if desired.
Supposed to be for 6 but serves more.
(because I only have on oven, I've successfully cooked it the night before and warm it up covered about 20- 30 min. before dinner.



Post Post note: Love your comments and notes Paula! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment