Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Pixies strike again!


Oh I do love this time of year - all the little treats to make, eat and share. And can I say the joy of eating something someone else has baked  - I'm very grateful for all who have shared!

First of all - my dear neighbor Cat made these adorable pink and purple butter cookies - adorable and delicious to boot! I mean what could be better than an 8 year old's decorating?! I'm working on getting the family recipe...
Love the look on the cookie person's face!

Those tricky Pixies...
And then we come to The Pixies.  Tuesday evening, a rainy night here in Healdsburg- I was on the couch reading a book, the stockings were hung by the chimney with care when came such a clatter... BANG, BANG, bang on my door!  I sprang to my feet and flew to the door, barely pausing a moment to glance at my feet at the platter full of treats, I slipped on my flip flops and ran down the street screaming - HEY - I know who you are - WHERE are you?? I couldn't believe they had made that quick a get-a-way. How was it possible?! There was no miniature sleigh or reindeer... as I cursed them under my breath and walked back to my house - what to my wondering mind should I think - they must have hidden somewhere on my STREET! That's when I saw them crouched behind my neighbors hedge! BUSTED! That's right I caught them in the act! But their secret is safe with me - All I can say is "MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!"

Post note: I did give them a sample of my little "snow" covered cookies below - I have to say they are adorable - a bit dry so I think they should be served with a cup of hot cocoa or coffee - enjoy and share with others! xoxo
Umbrian Biscotti


Pixie selection 2014
Post Note: Got the cookie recipe! Here you go!

Eileen's Christmas Cookies (I would say makes a ton- my notes in parenthesis)

6 cups flour (see a ton)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups margarine (ok, I would suggest maybe 1 cup butter, 1 cup margarine)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla

Cream fats and sugar, then add eggs and vanilla and mix. Mix in the rest of the dry ingredients. Roll out and cut into fun shapes. Bake 350 degrees 10-12 min or until done but not browned too much. Remove to rack to cool and then ice and decorate like an 8 year old girl for the cutest cookies ever.

Icing

2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter
tiny bit of milk
food coloring
sprinkles

Beat sugar and butter and add tiny bit of milk to make a soft icing. Separate into bowls and color - pink and purple made a nice xmas theme! Add sprinkles - enjoy! (ok, I'm not sure this will be enough icing - since I didn't test this - so don't sue me if you need more - just double it!)

1 comment: