Wednesday, February 4, 2015

What to do with all that cabbage

Last week I bought a head of cabbage to make some spring rolls and really only needed about a 1/4 of it. So I started looking for inspiration of what to do with all that cabbage and found this recipe for Bratwurst with Mustardy Fried Potatoes and Braised Cabbage. And Holy crap it was good! I had Bockworst in the freezer so I used those instead and I will be making this again! I slightly adapted the cabbage recipe and really liked it - so here you go…

Citrus Braised Cabbage serves 6

1/2 head of cabbage thinly sliced (red preferably but I had green and it was great too)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon each butter and olive oil
1 small onion thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup port
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl toss the cabbage with the juices and sugar. Then heat a large pot and add the fats and onion and sauté until soft. Add the cabbage including juices, spices, wine and port and bring to a simmer and cook for about 40 min or until juices are absorbed and cabbage is tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with sausages and potatoes.


Post Note: I've finally used up all that damn cabbage - this past weekend for the super bowl I made ribs and coleslaw!




No comments:

Post a Comment