Thursday, April 23, 2015

Comfort Food - always a good idea

Maybe your tummy is upset or you have a little cold. Or maybe you just need a little love. Well that is what it represents to me LOVE. And sometimes I just need to show a little love to myself - so a couple weeks ago I had a bit of a sore throat and just wanted some chicken broth - but then I thought - maybe a bit of egg to add protein and some tiny pasta and voila - Egg drop soup with pasta was born.
Egg drop soup

Egg Drop Soup serves a couple

4 cups homemade chicken stock (hopefully you have some in your freezer)
1 carrot chopped
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 eggs beaten
1/3 cup tiny pasta shapes cooked
1 green onion chopped (or I happened to have a fresh green garlic so I used that - yum!)

Heat the broth to boiling and add the carrot and cook until tender. Then add ginger and soy sauce and when it's bubbling stir a spoon around so you create a whirl then drizzle in the eggs slowly and stir in the same direction. Take off the heat and add the pasta and green onions or garlic. Serve and warm up your tummy with the goodness. 


Cheddar crust Chicken Pot Pie

Now this was a chicken pot pie that I made the crust - see the little specks - that is shredded cheddar! It was just OK, it did make 2 crusts so I froze one and I think I'm going to try it with apple pie next time… I do love that rolling pin - my Great Great Grandfather made it!
Now this soup - ultimate comfort. I've made a few of Ree Drummond's recipes and haven't been disappointed - definitely try this one - creamy and chunky Sausage Potato and Kale soup - oh so comforting.

I'm beginning to think the key to comfort food is Chicken broth!
Sausage Kale Potato soup



No comments:

Post a Comment