Thursday, January 5, 2017

Red beans and Rice for a rainy week

I got a Instant Pot Pressure Cooker for xmas! Well it isn't quite as simple as that - here's what happened. Every Saturday during the farmer's market season I go to Shed about 8am and have a little cooking/food/movie/life/politics discussion with Franco - of Franco's Sausage - and one day in November we were joking and laughing about pressure cookers - both of us agreed that they seemed crazy - like who has a potential exploding device in their kitchen? My mother gave me her "refurbished" one from the 50's and NO WAY was I going to try using that ticking time bomb. A couple weeks later Franco said - I bought a pressure cooker and I LOVE IT! Now Franco is a chef I admire so of course I followed suit - and bought the 6 quart Instant Pot - gotta love Amazon! I've been experimenting and will continue to post as I go - but this week was Red Beans and Rice - totally perfect for a rainy day! Now if you haven't gotten on the Pressure Cooker train yet, you can just do it the sloooooow way in your crock pot. But I'm telling you - I'm hooked!
 


Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients

  • 1 pound dried red beans
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 onion
  • 1 large bell pepper, I prefer red
  • 2 stalks of celery
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 3/4 pound andouille sausage
  • 2 slices smoked ham or Tasso if you can find it
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun spices, I use Paul Prudhomme’s
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • cooked white rice
  • Green onions
Takes , serves 6.

Instructions

  1. In your pressure cooker add the oil and heat up on saute.
  2. Chop onions, celery and bell pepper and sauté in oil until soft, about 8 min.
  3. Add in chopped garlic, sliced sausage, chopped ham and spices and sauté for a few min.
  4. Pour over 6 cups of water .
  5. Lock on pressure cooker lid and set to 20 min, let cool down 10 minutes then release pressure.(can you believe this? I didn't even soak the beans!)
  6. Check to see if beans are done, if not put on sauté for a few more minutes. Stir in butter and taste for spiciness and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice and sprinkle with chopped green onions.

I will also go back and edit some of my recipes that I have adapted to the Instant Pot (can I just say why on earth is it not Instapot?) And HAPPY NEW YEAR by the way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment