Saturday, August 15, 2009

"I've never been so excited about toast"

This is what came out of Richard's mouth when I finished making this Rhubarb-Strawberry Jam today. It was easy and delicious. I'm not fond of rhubarb when it is all mushy in a cobbler, but cooking this down made it meld with the strawberries and it's perfect. I will definitely need to make more next weekend, as it only made 2 small jars that I sealed and one for my fridge. Adapted from Saveur

Rhubarb Strawberry Jam 

4 cups chopped rhubarb about 1/2'' pieces
2 1/2 cups ripe strawberries cut into quarters
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice (meyer if you have them)

Combine all in a saucepan and bring to a boil reduce heat and cook stirring occasionally for about 45 min to an hour. It is done when a small spoonful is put on a chilled plate and it doesn't run. (I was chatting with my friend Sarah on the deck this afternoon and left it on it's own
 for awhile, almost burned!) It only makes about 2 1/2 cups so if you want to can it, email me and I'll post how to do that. Otherwise just put in the fridge and make toast!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment