Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Okra and Corn Fritters


As I look back at my posts it's starting to look like I fry everything! I don't really, but I admit I don't shy away from it. I guess I go with the food philosophy of everything in moderation, and my biggest motto is small portions - so as long as you follow those rules you should be ok. Anyway last night I made these Fritters and they were yummy, just another way of eating okra with out it being slimy!! As I started eating them I decided next time I'll add a little fresh corn cut off the cob to boost the corn flavor...







Okra and Corn Fritters serves 4

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup self-rising flour - I'll have another recipe later that uses this too 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
6 oz okra cut into rounds 
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (if you have it)
2 chopped green onions
Butter & olive oil
tabasco

Whisk together dry ingredients and then whisk in water to make a batter. Stir in okra and corn if using along with the green onions. Melt a couple tablespoons butter and a tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet if you have it - a non-stick would work too. Pour about 1/2 cup of batter and let it cook about 4 min. per side or until browned. Serve hot with a sprinkling of tabasco. 

No comments:

Post a Comment