Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Vodka tastes good- and not just in my martini


Last weekend we ate at one of my favorite Italian restaurants in SF - Ristorante Milano and since I didn't have my favorite pasta for dinner (I had the gnocchi which is great too) I talked the owner into sending me home with some of the uncooked fresh tonarelli that they make there. I decided to make a very simple Vodka Tomato Sauce - and since the bottle was out Richard made martinis too!

Creamy Vodka Tomato Sauce served 2

3 slices of thick bacon chopped
1/2 onion finely chopped
sprinkling of red pepper
1 garlic clove chopped
2 cups crushed tomatoes or chopped if you want it to be chunky (I used some of my frozen Marinara)
1/4 cup vodka
1/4 cup cream
about 1/2 lb. pasta of choice (fresh if you can get it!)
Parmesan grated

Saute the chopped bacon until it starts to brown -about 5 min. then add onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 more min. then add the tomatoes and vodka and cook about 5 min. Finally add the cream and cook until slightly thick. Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce and top with parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment