Friday, October 23, 2009

Chocolate, oh let me count the ways...

I'm bringing this to our neighborhood BBQ tomorrow. One of the easiest and most amazing chocolate cakes, I remember my mom used to make this when I was a kid and she would freeze the leftovers in portioned squares - then I would sneak in and microwave them until the icing started to melt - I almost think it tastes better that way than fresh! Anyway, here it is and I know it's another picture of a nutty looking mud thing - but it's delicious I promise.

Mexican Chocolate Sheet Cake

2 sticks butter

1 cup water

4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1 and 1/2 cups sugar (I reduced this from 2 cups)

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon (this is what makes it "Mexican")

2 eggs

1/2 cup buttermilk or sour cream - just whatever you have in the fridge, I can't really decide on a preference

1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan bring the butter, water and cocoa to a boil and set aside. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl then stir in the chocolate mixture. Mix the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla together then add to the rest. Pour into a lightly greased (I use the pam spray) large pyrex baking dish. And bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Make icing while it's in the oven because you want to pour the Icing over while still hot.

Icing

1 stick butter

4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa

6 tablespoons milk

about 1 pound powdered sugar

1 cup chopped nuts - I used walnuts but pecans are great and for a total splurge use macadamias

In the same pan you used to melt before add the butter, cocoa and milk and melt. Then pour into a mixing bowl and beat in with a hand mixer the powdered sugar, you just want it to get thick, it doesn't really need the whole pound. Then stir in the nuts. When you remove the cake from the oven, pour over all the icing and let it cool in the pan. And if you have leftovers remember it freezes really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment