Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Another holiday sweet treat


I can remember my mom making quite a bit of this when I was a kid. Not to mention Peanut Brittle, Aunt Bill's Brown Candy & Divinity just to name a few. She never told me how many batches, just how many "pounds of fudge" she had made. Well, I don't know how much it weighs, but it is pretty heavy - and when making 4 batches for my holiday boxes I realized I had used a 5 pound bag of sugar! Here's my version. Yes it's rich and sweet - everything a holiday treat should be.


Nutty Fudge - makes a heavy batch!

3 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1 small can 5 oz evaporated milk
3 cups chocolate chips (I like bittersweet or semisweet, but you could even do milk)
1 jar marshmallow fluff (Jen has to save a couple tablespoons to make fluffer-nutter - basically PB&J sandwich with marshmallow instead of jelly)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups walnuts or pecans

Heat sugar, butter & milk in a pan to a rolling boil and if you have a candy thermometer cook until 234 degrees if not boil for 8 min. - it usually works, but I don't guarantee it! Stir in the marshmallow, vanilla and walnuts until it's all mixed up. Put foil in a small square or rectangular pan with low sides that you first line with foil. Let cool then remove by the foil and cut into smallish squares. This recipe can be doubled if you need to make a bunch to give away.

No comments:

Post a Comment