Friday, April 9, 2010

Simple weeknight meal

I know that sometimes (maybe a lot of the times) it seems daunting to HAVE to cook for your family every night. Even for me, without kids, it can sometimes feel like a chore. Don't get me wrong - a lot of the times I'm excited to try a new recipe or craving an old one and it feels like the most natural thing in the world to spend an hour or two chopping and sauteing, mixing and mashing, stirring and stirring. Then there are those times when I've worked a long day - 7 pm last night! - and just want to eat something NOW. As you might have figured out by now, I'm the cook in our house; the kitchen is my domain. That is not to say that my husband doesn't help around the house as virtually everything else falls on his plate to get done (except laundry) so I feel we have worked out a pretty equitable work load. It's just that the feeding us part has to be done every day, even 2 or 3 times a day! So my sweet husband suggested he cook a meal for us last night. I really didn't do anything - except stand over his shoulder and give a few little helpful hints... so this is what he made....
Grilled Planked Steelhead Trout - this is such a great alternative to salmon, a little milder but just as flaky and tasty. Rich drizzled the fish with a little lemon infused olive oil and s&p. Now, you have to remember to soak in water your cedar plank for about an hour, but you could also just toss a few wood chips onto the grill. Then you heat up your grill on high (gas for us) and place the plank on the grill to heat up - it should be in the non-direct heat area. When it begins to smoke, place the fish directly on the plank. Turn the heat down to low and let the smoke cook the fish - it takes a little longer than if it was directly on the grill - maybe about 15 -20 min total no need to turn. For our sides, Rich did a chopped salad; in our fridge he found romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumber, avocado and some crumbled blue cheese. He chopped all this on a large board and then in the middle of our wooden salad bowl put a tablespoon of dijon mustard, a couple tablespoons of red wine vinegar, s&p and then with a fork mixed in about a quarter of a cup of olive oil. Then just toss all the salad ingredients together. A little steamed rice made it the perfect weeknight meal. Thanks my love!

1 comment:

  1. yum yum! I love how Richard made the dressing, just like Lawry's Steak House!!! :)

    ReplyDelete