Saturday, December 25, 2010

Smoked Salmon Hash -A Breakfast Joy would have loved

Well, minus the poached egg - she never did like those. I'm sorry to say that Richard's mother Joy passed away in Dallas on thursday. He and his sister Julia and brother Randy were there with her. Needless to say this is not a very merry christmas. Although I'm trying to get some joy out of it. My best christmas present was that my dear husband came home last night and I got to wake up with him this morning. Thanks to all our friends and family for their love and support during this difficult time. Remember to love and care for each other as you never know when you will lose them.

Smoked Salmon Hash for Joy serves 2

about 1/2 pound yukon gold potatoes
3 slices thick bacon
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
about 1/4 pound smoked salmon (not the lox kind, but the drier smokey kind)

Boil the potatoes in some salted water for about 20 min or until tender. Let cool and then peel and chop into about 1/2 inch pieces. I did this last night so it would be ready to go this morning. In a saute pan cook the bacon and set it aside. Pour off some of the drippings and then add the butter and cook the onions for a few min. Add the potatoes and saute until browned. Chop the bacon and flake the salmon into chunks and add to the pan. Lightly toss to warm, you don't want to break up the salmon too much. If you like eggs, serve with a poached one (and let me just say it came out perfect!) and a dash of tabasco. I made a fresh grated horseradish sauce with some creme fraiche so I had that on the side too.

Joy enjoyed her children and grandchildren and lived her life to the fullest - she was an avid reader on my blog as she loved to cook and eat. She will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment