Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Moist and delicious Waffles!!

OMG - these were so good! I woke up the other morning craving waffles but didn't have any buttermilk - which is usually what I use to make waffles. So, I got out my Waffle cookbook by Dorie Greenspan and found these Cottage Cheese Waffles - and let me tell you they were tender and moist and even if you don't like cottage cheese, you will like these as it's kind of a secret ingredient - just melts away into the crispy goodness. I love being able to use what I have in the fridge to make stuff! Of course I have to top mine with chopped pecans - you can skip this part if you don't like nuts - or if you are nuts! Sorry. Freeze any leftovers in a ziploc between wax paper to toast up later. Liza - hope you like them ; )Cottage Cheese Waffles 6 waffles

1/2 stick of butter melted
1 and 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cottage cheese (I buy small curd, and even used low fat!)
1 cup milk (all I had was 2%, I would normally use whole, but couldn't tell the difference)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon honey

Mix the dry ingredients together then combine in another bowl with wet ones (except butter). Mix all together then fold in the melted butter. Bake in your waffle iron until done. If not eating right away, let cool on a wire rack and then freeze. Serve with bacon and a little maple syrup.

Post Note: Ok, I'm not saying these are low-fat as there was the melted butter, but really it made no difference that I used low-fat milk products, so you can save a little there - if you want. Not that I want to get on a soap box here, but blaming Paula Deen for obesity in the US is ridiculous. It's ok to eat "her" way every now and then, or at least in small portions - everything in moderation I say. Moderation and small portions. Ok, I'll get down now. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment