Monday, November 18, 2013

Homemade Mozzarella

Soft and luscious on top of this years tomatoes
 Along with our bread baking adventure Jennifer and I took a mozzarella making class up here in Healdsburg at Relish. It was very interesting but I definitely didn't become as addicted as I did with the bread. I might make it myself once in a blue moon, but otherwise I advise buying a good brand. I certainly now know why burratta costs so much. Since it made so much I decided to make these risotto balls stuffed with mozzarella. SOOO amazing!

Telefono refers to the "strings of mozzarella like a telephone wire!
Suppli al telefono (Risotto balls with mozzarella)

Couple cups leftover plain risotto if you use this recipe don't use peas or goat cheese
2 eggs beaten
1 ball mozzarella or the small ones
about a cup panko
olive oil
to serve - quick tomato sauce hopefully you have some in the freezer!

Mix the eggs into the risotto then form into medium sized balls and push in a cube of mozzarella and form the rest of the rice around it. I like an oblong shape. Roll in panko to coat. In a frying pan put some olive oil - just enough to go about 1/3 of the way up the balls. Fry 3 or 4 min each side or until crispy on the outside and warmed on the inside. Serve hot with some tomato sauce and sprinkled with salt. They can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge before frying.


No comments:

Post a Comment